Hungover tacos!… Ehm, I mean… breakfast tacos!? So this weekend was a bit unusual for me. I usually do not drink at all, however we ended up going to an art exhibition on Friday night and afterwards went over to the casino for a “few” drinks.
You can see where this is going right? It felt like no time had passed but somehow it was 6am and there were empty bottles of champagne everywhere. I haven’t been out that late since I have been in university and I definitely did not just jump out of bed in the morning like I did in university. Somehow my body after not drinking at all does not deal with alcohol like it used to.
So this morning (by which I mean late afternoon when I finally managed to get my ass out of bed) I opted to make some scrambled tofu for a breakfast taco. Scrambled tofu is one of those foods I have tried to make in the past but somehow never managed to make perfectly. However with some confidence and remaining drunkenness I opted to give it another try and this time it worked like a charm.
Since the weekend I have cooked this a few more times with different vegetables and it works just as well as normal scrambled eggs, you can really toss in anything you want. For the photos I made it with just red bell pepper however if you have some corn floating around make sure to add that too.
For more breakfast recipes make sure to check out my breakfast board on Pinterest.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 500g/17oz extra firm tofu, finely shredded
- 8 corn taco's
- 2 avocado's, sliced
- Wap the tofu in paper towel and place it on a plate. Put a heavy object on top to drain the moisture, drain for at least 30 minutes but ideally overnight.
- Using a fork shred the tofu into tiny pieces that look like scrambled eggs.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and add the onion and red bell pepper, saute for 8 minutes until tender.
- Add the tofu and spices and combine well. Saute for another 5-10 minutes until the tofu starts to turn golden brown.
- Heat the taco's in a different pan and fill them with the scrambled tofu, avocado, cholula and cilantro.