This cashew sour cream is a perfect healthy and vegan alternative to traditional sour cream. All you need is a food processor or blender.
So it is only fitting that my first post is about cream. My favourite winter dish is mushroom stroganoff which just does not work without cream, I tried soy cream but found that it made meals quite heavy and too creamy.
Then thanks to a friend I was introduced to cashew cream, at first I thoughts she had lost her mind. How can cashews ever turn into something to even remotely resemble cream. After doing some research on the internet this does seem to be one of the most popular cream replacements.
I put my hesitations aside and made my own vegan cashew sour cream. I used a food processor to make this, due to this my cream is not entirely smooth as it I don’t have a high speed blender at my disposal. However, for the dishes I have used it so far it makes absolutely no difference that it is not smooth.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- ½ - ¾ cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Soak the cashews overnight or for at least 8 hours. If you are unable to soak the cashews, soak them in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and put the cashews, water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and salt in a food processor or high speed blender.
- Add more water as desired to create a smooth mixture.