A sweet and spicy dark noodle soup filled with fresh vegetables. This soup uses dark soy sauce for a salty sweet tasting stock.
A friend of mine was at one of them which had a ridiculous selection of soy sauce. Now up till that moment I didn’t even know there was more than one type of soy sauce. Since they had a million of them she got me a few I might like.
The one I was most excited about is a mushroom flavoured dark soy sauce. Even though I have had it around the kitchen for a while I had absolutely no clue what to use it for.
On my list of recipes that I wanted to cook and try for the blog I had a clear noodle soup. I started making the soup, however it went wrong on the first ingredient. I added the stock to the pan and the stock was way too dark for a clear soup. Since this soup would not be good as a clear soup I gave up on that and just started in random things I had in the kitchen. As I was looking for some spices to add to the soup I came across the dark soy sauce. Since my idea had already gone out the window I just tossed it in to see how it would taste.
Turns out that my clear noodle soup, which by now had turned into a dark noodle soup. Tasted AMAZING. So I did the one logical thing I could do. I stopped eating and took photos of the soup so I can share it with you guys.
Now for this dark noodle soup you won’t need specific mushroom flavoured dark soy sauce. However, you do need a dark soy sauce. As a dark soy sauce is less salty and a bit sweeter than usual soy sauce it’s a perfect addition to this soup.
For more soup recipes make sure to check my soup recipe board on Pinterest.
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut in half and finely sliced
- 300g/10oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, sliced
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely sliced
- 100g/3oz rice noodles
- In a large Dutch oven or stock pan bring the stock to a simmer. Add the carrot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, chilli, and dark soy sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the spring onions and rice noodles and heat until the noodles are cooked according to the instructions. Divide the soup over individual bowls and serve immediately.