Delicious, full of flavour and spices. This Italian bean soup is the best of Italian ingredients all in one bowl.
When I originally started eating exclusively vegan, I thought my biggest struggle would be to cut out foods like ice cream and cake. Somehow these things I didn’t seem to be able to live without. It turns out that making vegan variants of cake and ice cream is easy and they are just as delicious.
The biggest struggle so far must have been two things. Firstly, eating out and secondly, food cravings. Eating out poses some interesting issues at times. Thankfully most places offer at least one vegetarian/can be made vegan option on their menu. However occasionally there is no option whatsoever. A few weeks ago we were at a burger place when it turned out there was no vegan option on the menu. There were no salads and the only thing I could eat was fries and onion rings. Since I wasn’t alone I felt bad about going to another place when I had already said no to a few other places before that one. So I had a lunch of onion rings and fries.
Interestingly, if you had told me about a year ago I would have an issue with that lunch, I would have probably laughed at you. Fast forward to the present and I have raised my standards on lunch and changing my habits for much healthier eating habits.
The other struggle I keep having is cravings for snacks. At one point it got so bad I had to start going to a different café for my morning coffee. The café I used to go to sells salted caramel donuts. Normally I never have a desire for one, however as soon as I walk into the café there is nothing I want more than a salted caramel donut. I am convinced I was drooling all over their display at some point. After that I changed to a different café to make sure I wouldn’t give in.
But enough about my struggles, let’s focus on this delicious Italian bean soup. Imagine you grab any food that remind you of Italian food and you toss it in a pan. That means you have just made this soup. If you could put Italy in a bowl, this would be it. This soup is full of fresh vegetables and filled with beans for protein. This is the perfect meal to anyone complaining vegans and vegetarians don’t get enough protein.
For more soup recipes make sure to check out my soup recipe board on Pinterest.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut in half and finely sliced
- 2 zucchini's, cut in half and finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 cups stock
- 1 400g/14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 400g/14oz can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 400g/14oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp organo
- 1 tsp basil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or stock pan. Sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, stock and diced tomatoes and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer the soup for 20 minutes.
- Add the beans and spices and simmer the soup for another 10 minutes.
- Divide the soup over individual bowls and serve immediately.