Beautiful and delicious, this Italian lentil salad is the whole package. Filled with delicious Italian flavours. A healthy salad for lunch as no dressing is needed.
A lot of the recipes I share with you I cook for their visual appeal. Even though food should taste great, it just tastes that tiny bit better when it also looks great. This Italian lentil salad is one of those dishes that exists because of how it looks.
I made this Italian lentil salad entirely by accident. I was planning to make a lentil salad with roasted red onions and spinach. However, as I was combining the roasted onion and lentils in a bowl I loved hot the colours looked together. Adding spinach was just going to ruin how the salad looked.
This is normally the point where I start opening my pantry and fridge and grab whatever remaining ingredients I have lying around. Thankfully I had a jar of roasted red pepper and some cherry tomatoes. Now when you make this salad, I would recommend to use fresh red bell peppers and roast them yourself. However if you are short on time jarred red peppers will work.
Thanks to all these roasted ingredients there is no need for a dressing. The roasted tomatoes and roasted bell pepper are full of liquid that you won’t even miss the salad dressing. This brings down the amount of calories and the fat in this salad.
For more salad recipes make sure to check my salad recipe board on Pinterest.
- 1 red onion, cut in half and finely sliced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 roasted red bell peppers (fresh or jarred), seeds and membrane removed and cut in half
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 400g/14oz can brown lentils
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F. In a large baking pan place the cherry tomatoes and red onion. If making your own roasted red peppers, place them in a different baking pan. Toss the vegetables with the oil and salt. Place both dishes in the oven and roast for 20 minutes turned once in between, do not turn the red bell peppers. Remove the tomatoes and onion, remove the bell peppers if they are black and wrinkled, roast for another 5-10 minutes if they are not done yet.
- Place the red bell peppers in a plastic bag and tie the bag, remove after 10 minutes and peel the bell pepper and cut into small pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the vegetables and lentils.
- Divide over individual bowls and serve immediately.