An updated favourite to include quinoa to create an easy lunch. This quinoa garden salad is perfect for days when you are short in time if you do some prep in advance.
I think everyone who is vegan has had many a garden salad since turning vegan. Even if a restaurant is as far from vegan as you can imagine, let’s say a steakhouse. There is usually one thing on the menu you can count on. It’s our good friend, the tried and trusted garden salad. It’s there to make sure you can have a tiny bit of faith in humanity.
A garden salad is extremely simple. All it really is, is tomatoes, onion, cucumber and some lettuce with a not so healthy dressing. Is it the most interesting meal in the world? No. However it works and has all the flavours you want. But how can we turn this meal into a delicious lunch salad?
Throw some quinoa and chickpeas at it. With quinoa having become a food trend it is not readily available everywhere. Since on its own it doesn’t really taste like anything it is the perfect accompaniment to a refreshing salad. And that is how this quinoa garden salad was born.
So next time you are in a pinch with little time. Throw this salad together in no time. I try and keep a container of cooked quinoa in the fridge, this way I can quickly throw together a salad in the morning and have a fresh salad for lunch.
For more salad recipes make sure to check out my salad recipe board on Pinterest.
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut into small pieces
- 10 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 400g/14oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup roasted bell pepper strips (roughly 1 red bell pepper)
- ½ bunch of parsley
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions. After cooking set aside to cool for 20-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the quinoa, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions, bell pepper strips and parsley.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil and spices. Pour the dressing over the quinoa mixture and combine well.
- Divide the salad over individual bowls and serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.