Last Saturday we went out for Breakfast. We ended up at a cafe that had a very intriguing meal. On their menu they had a breakfast quinoa salad. Now I eat a lot of quinoa for lunch and dinner however I never considered to create a quinoa salad for breakfast. The salad they had on their menu was a quinoa kale salad, so naturally I had to order it.
I absolutely loved this salad, it was fresh and filling with everything you could want to start your day. I just wasn’t the biggest fan of how they filled the salad, it had almonds in it and I am currently sick of almonds after eating way too many of them. So I set out to make my own better version of this quinoa kale salad.
I definitely succeeded. I created a salad that is filled with pieces of sweet apple and cherry tomatoes. Dressed up in a red wine vinegar dressing and topped with dry roasted cashews. This salad has it all. It is sweet, it is sour, it is filling and provides you with the energy you need to get you going in the morning.
Now naturally you can eat this salad for lunch, but I encourage you to try this salad for breakfast and get a good start to the day.
If you are looking for more salad recipes make sure to check my salad board on Pinterest.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup kale, shredded
- 1 apple, finely diced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tsbp red wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp. dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup cashews
- Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions.
- Massage the kale with a pinch of salt until fragrant.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the quinoa, kale, apple and cherry tomatoes.
- In a small bowl add the red wine vinegar, mustard, olive oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Add the dressing to the quinoa mixture and divide over individual bowls. Top with cashews and serve immediately.