An incredibly versatile soup, this red bell pepper soup is a perfect soup base where you can use leftover vegetables. If you are looking for a Friday night left over meal, this soup is perfect.
My favourite recipes are recipes where you can use your own creativity with a guarantee that your meal will be delicious. This soup is exactly that.
I made this soup when I had some left over vegetables at home and I needed something to do with them. All you need for this soup base is crushed tomato, red bell peppers and stock. The other ingredients like the eggplant, you can replace with any other vegetables you prefer.
All you have to do is create the soup base by roasting the red bell pepper (or using roasted bell pepper in a jar). Cooking it with the stock and crushed tomatoes and then blend it. After that you can unleash your creativity and throw in whatever you want.
I would consider this soup to be like a tomato vegetables soup, just better. Tomato vegetable soup in my opinion was always quite bland. Thanks to the added roasted bell peppers this soup is full of flavour and a perfect way to end your week.
So this Friday when you are wondering what to cook with all your leftover vegetables. Give this soup a try. It takes no time to cook and almost no effort whatsoever.
For more soup recipes make sure to check my soup recipe board on Pinterest.
- 2 large eggplants, approx. 1kg/2lbm cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 500g/1lb roasted red peppers, if you are not using jarred pepper this is approx. 2 bell peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 14oz/400g cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 14oz/400g cans cannellini beans
- parsley, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F. In a large baking dish spread out the eggplant. Toss with half the olive oil and salt and coat well. Place in oven and roast 20 minutes turning eggplants once halfway through. Once the eggplants are done place them aside till the end.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven or stockpot heat the olive oil and place the roasted red peppers, garlic, herbs, cayenne pepper and remaining salt in the pan. Stir until well coated.
- Add the vegetable stock and diced tomatoes and bring the soup to a simmer. Once the soup simmers blend the soup with a stick blender or by transferring it to a blender. After blending simmer the soup for 15 minutes.
- Add the roasted eggplant and cannellini beans and simmer the soup for 5 more minutes.
- Divide the soup over individual bowls and serve immediately garnish with parsley.