A delicious and creamy roasted butternut squash soup with pasta. This soup is the perfect cozy comfort food for rainy days.
Last Saturday was not a great day. Everything went wrong and I ended up not having eaten anything until I got home at 6.30PM. Thankfully my partner was nice enough to order some pizzas so that I could eat the second I got home.
As you would have it, the pizza got delivered. I opened the box, and it was covered in cheese. If I could have cheese I would have probably eaten it however I can’t eat cheese. I called them and they apologised and would deliver a new pizza. All good I thought. About 15 minutes later the new pizza shows up, I go to pick up a slice and the pizza is entirely soft and undercooked except for the edges…
I put the pizza in the oven to see if I could get it cooked and the end result was a bit better but still undercooked in the middle. I ate it because I was hungry but gave up and went to bed after that.
So today I definitely felt like I needed a decent meal to make up for the disaster that was Saturday. I had some left over cashew sour cream from my vegan nachos so I made a delicious roasted butternut squash soup. This soup is creamy, rich and filling and definitely a major improvement over shitty pizza.
With this butternut squash soup, I also added pasta to add a bit of texture and something extra to the soup. If pasta in a cream soup sounds weird to you, you can skip the pasta. Just make sure to use less stock so your soup doesn’t get too watered down.
You can make this squash soup without cream for a slightly healthier version but I do recommend adding the cream as it is deliciously creamy with it.
For more soup recipes make sure to check out my soup recipe board on Pinterest.
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- 100g/3oz short pasta
- 4 tbsp cashew sour cream
- Preheat oven to 190C/370F.
- In a large baking dish place the squash and toss with half the olive oil. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- In a large Dutch oven or stock pan heat the remaining olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, carrots and cayenne pepper. Bring the soup to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the roasted squash and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Using a blender or immersion blender, puree the soup. Make sure to taste the soup and add salt as required.
- Add the pasta to the soup and simmer until the pasta is al dente. Stir through the sour cream and serve immediately.