Years ago when I just moved to Australia I had just started university. Since I knew absolutely nobody in Australia I spend a lot of time socialising and eating out to make new friends. During this time I ate out more than I had ever done. A friend of mine introduced me to the most amazing place on campus.
At the University of New South Wales there is a place called the stock market. This place served the best and healthiest food on campus. They had one of those salad bars where you just pointed at all the ingredients you wanted on your salad and they made it for you. After a lot of trips to their salad bar I decided to venture out a bit and try their soups. It was here I had my first ever minestrone soup, however this was only the stepping stone to bigger and better things.
They also had another soup which was a roasted vegetable soup. This soup was AMAZING. To this day I have no clue what was in it exactly. All I remember is that it was creamy, spicy and full of flavour. Over the years I have made my own version of this soup very often, slowly tweaking ingredients until I got to a combination which is extremely close to the original. Nothing will ever beat that soup for me, however this soup comes pretty damn close.
If you love roasted vegetables you definitely have to give this roasted vegetable soup a chance as you will be amazed by the amazing strong flavours in this soup.
For more soup recipes make sure to check out my pinterest soup board.
- 1 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 red onion, cut into quartes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in half with membrane and seeds removed
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 garlic cloves, packed in tin foil with a drizzle of olive oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt + additional salt to taste
- 2 cups stock
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-2 cups water as needed
- red chilli to garnish
- parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F.
- Spread all the cut vegetables over two baking sheets and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast all vegetables for 20 minutes, turn all vegetables. remove the ren onion from the oven and roast the remaining vegetables for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the cherry tomatoes, garlic and bell pepper from the oven and roast the potato, sweet potato and carrot for another 5-10 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile bring the stock to a boil in a large stock pot and add the garlic, cherry tomatoes, red onion and bell pepper.
- When the remaining vegetables are done add them to the stock pot and add the spices. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or blender process the soup until it forms a smooth puree. Add water if needed and salt to personal taste.
- Divide over individual bowls and garnish with red chilli or parsley.