A wholesome root vegetable salad filled with deliciously roasted root vegetables and a bell pepper that got lost. Combined with a tangy lemon dressing this root vegetable salad is a perfect lunch to pack to work with minimum effort required.
I eat a lot of salads as I don’t have a microwave available at work. If I don’t bring my own lunch I just end up eating crap unhealthy food which makes me hate lunch time every day. Hence why I eat a million salads and take one to work every day. And that’s also why you get to put up with all the salad on here.
The second thing, roasted vegetables. Is really just laziness. Who doesn’t love roasted vegetables. They are as simple as can be. You toss them in an oven dish, toss them with some oil and salt and throw them in the oven. Technically you should turn them halfway through cooking but really, you can just skip that part and have slightly uneven vegetables. Not like I am talking from experience or anything. I always turn my vegetables…
So it is no surprise this root vegetable salad has both of those things. Firstly, it’s a salad (duh!) secondly, it has roasted vegetables (surprise!).
And in the end, you toss it all together in a bowl with a quick dressing you whip up in 2 minutes. Just sit on the couch and watch some tv while the vegetables roast. If anyone asks what you’re doing murmur “cooking” and point in the general direction of the oven.
For more salad recipes make sure to check out my salad recipe board on Pinterest.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed and cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 200g/8oz arugula
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F. In a large baking dish place the butternut pumpkin and sweet potato. I a second smaller dish place the red bell pepper.
- Coat the vegetables in half the olive oil and the spices. Place the potato and pumpkin in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Place the red bell pepper in the oven after 15 minutes and turn the potato and pumpkin. Roast both dishes for another 15 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, in a small bowl whisk together the remaing olive oil, lemon juicer and maple syrup until well combined. Set aside.
- Once the vegetables are done roasting place them in a large mixing bowl and toss them with the arugula and dressing. If you are storing the salad to eat at a later time make sure to store the dressing separately.