A delicious quinoa salad with amazing flavours. This salad is filled with fresh ingredients like bell pepper and corn for a no fuss lunch salad.
I was never a big fan of quinoa salads, I always found them to be dry and bland. This all changed when I ate a southwest quinoa salad for the first time.
The first time I ate this salad was in Coronado at Boney’s Bayside Market. Immediately I loved it, it was flavourful and not even remotely dry. It turned out that I had been making quinoa salads wrong this entire time. The only thing I had to do was put a dressing on it, somehow the world salad did not give that away.
Ever since I have been trying to recreate the same salad as I live on the other side of the world and can’t just pop over to buy some. After a lot of failed attempts I have created a copy that is almost similar.
In my recipe I use frozen corn that I pan fry as it is not possible for me to use a grill or a bbq and use fresh corn, but feel free to replace the frozen corn with freshly grilled corn.
For more salad recipes make sure to check out my salad recipe board on Pinterest.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups stock
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ tsp cayenne peppers
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the package.
- Prepare all the vegetables and beans and put them in a mixing bowl.
- Fry the corn in a pan over high heat until slightly charred.
- Add the corn and the quinoa to the vegetable mixture.
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro and spices in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the vegetables, quinoa and corn and mix well.
- Divide the salad over bowls and serve immediately topped with cilantro. Alternatively store in fridge for up to 3 days in airtight container.