Stuffed mushrooms is something that has always alluded me. I have attempted to make them before with fake cream cheese, parmesan cheese and with other creamy ingredients. Somehow it has never really been something I enjoyed which is shocking given how much I love mushrooms.
I am usually the person who will add as many types of mushroom as I can squeeze in a dish. Somehow stuffed mushrooms never tasted great to me, they were always quite bland and lacking something. I would make them now and again and make them with different ingredients to see what I liked and somehow between all the times of cooking this I managed to find a great combination of ingredients.
It turns out that there is two things it needed. It needed a bit of crunch and it needed salt. I tried adding breadcrumbs in an early stage but without a layer of cheese on top it would always tend to burn. To add some extra flavour and saltiness to this dish I used 2 ingredients I loved, sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives.
The only problem that was left was on how to bake them and that turned out to be the easiest solution, aluminium foil. Simply cover the stuffed mushroom with some aluminium foil, bake for a while, remove the foil and bake them to brown and you get perfectly crispy breadcrumbs that are not black.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g/8oz white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut into strips
- ¼ cup kalamata olives
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 4 large flat mushrooms
- cilantro, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F
- In a frying pan sauté the white button mushrooms for 10 minutes until all the moisture has evaporated.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives and breadcrumbs.
- Fill the flat mushrooms with the mushroom and breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the filled mushrooms in a baking tray and cover with aluminium foil. Bake covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove the aluminium foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, place on individual plates and garnish with fresh cilantro.