A delicious combination of roasted sweet potato, caramelised onions and spiced roasted chickpeas. This sweet potato lentil salad is a treat for the senses. The delicious smell will make you dig in and eat the entire salad in one sitting.
All the dishes I share on here with you I personally like and would make over and over again. Sometimes there are those dishes that are extra special. If there is one dish that made me drool all over the food while taking photo, it’s this sweet potato lentil salad.
Whenever I prepare a salad for on this blog I will prepare the salad the night before and take photos that night. However, I won’t actually eat this salad until the next day for lunch. I know that I absolutely nailed it when I need a second dinner and eat some of the salad. I never had this desire as much as with this sweet potato lentil salad.
Somehow the combination of caramelised onions, roasted sweet potato and spiced roasted chickpeas made me drool over this meal. I may have had a few bites while taking the photos. This salad is just AMAZING. When I was eating it the flavours just worked, there was no need for me to cook the recipe again to adjust anything. It just worked straight away. That for me, is how I now I succeeded with a recipe.
If you are looking for a good lunch recipe for the coming week, no need to look further. This salad is all you need.
For more salad recipes make sure to check out my salad recipe board on Pinterest.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 14oz/400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1 brown onion, cut in half and finely sliced
- 1 can brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- handful of arugula, washed
- hummus (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F.
- In a large baking dish spread the sweet potato and toss with half the olive oil and salt. In a second baking dish place the chickpeas, toss the chickpeas with the cayenne pepper and remaining olive oil and salt. Place both dishes in the oven and roast for 30 minutes making sure to turn the potato and chickpeas halfway through.
- Meanwhile in a large frying pan or sauté pan sauté the onion for 10-15 minutes until brown and caramelized.
- Once the potato and chickpeas are roasted combine the sweet potato, chickpeas, caramelized onions, lentils and arugula in a large mixing bowl.
- Divide the salad over individual bowls and top with hummus if desired.