A spicy and filling sweet potato salad. This salad is delicious and packs easily for a no fuss lunch as no refrigeration is needed.
If a meal could hug you it would be this salad. Those days when you feel like shit and your day is not going the way you want it to go. Have some sweet potato salad. Why? Sweet potato… salad. What else can you need.
In addition to roasted sweet potato this salad is filled with beans, veggies and topped with herbs. It’s quick to make, you slice some veggies, roast the potatoes, make the dressing and TADA. Sweet potato salad.
This salad is delicious, spicy and bursting with flavour. Thanks to bird’s eye chilli’s this salad is not for the faint of heart. The recipe below is how I would recommend people make it. With just one chilli. If you are adventurous go crazy and throw in 5 chilli’s which is how I prefer to make it. It will definitely be spicy.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 400g / 14oz can black beans
- ½ red onion
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped into medium sized chunks
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1-5 bird's eye chilli's, depending on how well you handle spice
- 4 spring onions, chopped finely
- ½ avocado, cut into small chunks
- Put the sweet potato in a baking dish, toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and chilli powder. Bake in the oven at 200C/390F for 20 minutes, turn the sweet potato and bake for another 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a food processor combine 2 tbsp olive oil, red bell pepper, red wine vinegar, cumin, salt, black pepper and the chilli's until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the roasted sweet potato, black beans, red onion and the dressing.
- Garnish with the spring onion and avocado and serve hot or cold.