A delicious comforting and filling tofu mushroom curry perfect for those cold winter days. This healthy curry easily pairs with couscous or rice for a full dinner meal.
When it comes to fast food, the vegan selection is pretty limited. Thankfully McDonalds fries in Australia are vegan. The only other option when it comes to quick food you can find anywhere is Subway. Today was probably the first time in 6 months I went in to subway and ordered something.
As one might expect, I regretted my choice of food in about 1 bite. I begrudgingly finished my wrap. Immediately after finishing it I set out to plan a delicious dinner meal to counteract the foul tasting wrap.
Since we are currently in the midst of winter in Melbourne. Right in the middle of a cold front I opted for a warm and comforting meal with my favourite foods, mushroom and tofu. This delicious tofu mushroom curry did exactly what it was supposed to do.
It is delicious, warm, comforting and not foul like a subway wrap.
For this curry I used almond milk instead of coconut milk. It worked very well with almond milk it just isn’t as creamy as when you use coconut milk. If you prefer a creamier curry just replace the almond milk with coconut milk.
For more dinner recipes make sure to check out my dinner recipe board on Pinterest.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 250g/8oz firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into small cubes
- 250g/8oz mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1½ tbsp garam masala
- 2 cup almond milk (or coconut milk)
- 1 cup stock
- parsley, to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and eggplant and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the tofu and spices and stir to coat.
- Add the almond milk and stock and bring the curry to a simmer.
- Simmer the curry for 30-50 minutes while stirring occasionally until it has reached the desired consistency.
- Serve the curry with rice or couscous and garnish with parsley.