My biggest struggle with eating vegan so far has been a lack of sweets. Before going vegan I ate a lot of sweets and snacks that weren’t necessarily healthy. However I am definitely missing all these sweet snacks. For some reason I went quite well in skipping them however this week has been a real struggle. Every time I end up at the grocery store and I walk past the aisle with all the sweets I pine for some sugary satisfaction.
Now unfortunately most snacks are not vegan, for some reason every snacks needs a little bit of milk powder as the last and final ingredient. I am convince this is a conspiracy against vegans.
This excess of milk powder snacks made me experiment with some different snacks this week. I made a lot of different snacks and have been working on cakes using tofu but they still need some experimenting before they are entirely done. These vanilla poached pears were an instant hit though. I ate vanilla poached pears for an entire week in salads and smoothies and just on their own with some chocolate.
So over the next few weeks you will be getting a few more recipes which use vanilla poached pears. If you have some free time this week experiment with these vanilla poached pears and see how you can use them yourself.
- 4 pears, peeled, sliced in half and cores removed*
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- dark chocolate, chopped to garnish
- Bring water to a boil. Add the sugar and split the vanilla bean with a sharp pairing knife. Remove the seeds from the bean and add to the water. Add the bean to the water as well.
- Add the pears and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes until the pears are tender.
- Divide the poached pears over individual bowls and serve with chopped dark chocolate.
- Alternatively you can store the pears in an air tight container in the fridge with the poaching liquid.