Delicious vegan nachos with fresh salsa roja and home made cashew sour cream. These vegan nachos will even satisfy picky meat eaters.
This week I made cashew sour cream for the first time since I got a Vitamix. I remade one of my favourite recipes, my mushroom stroganoff. However, since I had some cashew cream already made it was the perfect opportunity for some vegan nachos.
This was a recipe I didn’t intend to share with you, I really just wanted some nachos after I had to watch my partner devour an entire plate of them. After making these nachos I realised that they were exquisite and mouth watering so I had no choice but to share them with you.
I knew I was on to a winner when my meat loving boyfriend went to get seconds and was trying to eat the nachos of the plate as I was attempting to take photos for all of you.
For these nachos I did not place a cheese replacement on them. If you are looking for a cheese replacement you can find a recipe for vegan cheese on veggieonapenny.
For these vegan nachos I made my own salsa roja, you can just use premade salsa roja though. I have posted a recipe for cashew sour cream before, it only takes 5 minutes to make. Most good grovery stores will sell cashew or soy sour cream in their fresh aisle if you don’t’ have a high powered blender at home.
For more dinner recipes make sure to check out my dinner recipe board on Pinterest.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 400g/14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed and cut into small pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed and cut into small pieces
- 1 400g/14z can red kidney bean
- 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 1 200g/8oz bag of corn chips
- 2 tbsp salsa roja
- 2 tbsp cashew sour cream
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- In a large Dutch oven or sauce pan heat the olive oil. Add half the red onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and bell pepper and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes while stirring frequently. Set aside when done.
- Meanwhile in a large non stick frying pan, fry the corn over high heat until golden brown. Set aside when done.
- Place the corn chips on a large plate and optionally heat the chips in the oven.
- Place the bean mixture over the corn chips and top with a few more corn chips. Drizzle over the cashew sour cream and salsa roja.
- Top with the corn, spring onion and remaining red onion.
- Serve immediately.